This is it, you’ve got your new ink. The next part of the job is yours. The after care and healing process is an important part of the full tattoo process. If your Tattoo artist did not discuss aftercare before your get inked, it will be covered before you leave the studio. It is important at this point that you feel comfortable to ask all the questions you may have. Take as much time as needed and do not forget that you can reach the studio if one question remains once you’re back home. Follow our aftercare recommendations to keep your tattoo as vibrant as possible.
TATTOO AFTER CARE
1. After getting tattooed leave the bandage on for 4 hours before removing…
2. You must have after care products before removing your bandage. The basics antibacterial liquid soap without perfume, paper towels, paper cellar tape or medical tape, and cream. you need all these products before removing the bandage for the first time. We advise you to use the most basics products as possible without added perfumes or oils. We recommend you DETTOL, EASY TATTOO SOAP, CAREX or SANEX antibacterial soap/skin products and BEPANTHEN cream.
3. WASH YOUR HANDS every time before touching your tattoo.
Wash the tattooed area with cool or warm water, rinse this area with yours hands and antibacterial liquid soap…This process pulls out all the elements that create thick scabs and will further the proper healing of your new tattoo.
4. Let the tattoo air dry for 10 minutes. Blotting dry only the wet areas around the tattoo with fresh clean paper towels, do not wipe dry the tattoo, let it air dry.
5. Now apply a small amount of your chosen aftercare enough to cover the tattoo. The key is to not let the tattoo become dry to not let the skin cracks.
6. Wrap the tattoo with new cellar tape and tape it on.
7. Repeat these steps 2/3 times daily (every six hours) for 2 or 3 days.
8. After three days, keep your tattoo always moist by using your chosen after care. Always wash the tattoo before applying any cream with clean hands and antibacterial soap.
Do not pick, scratch or even touch your new tattoo unless you are cleaning it. If the tattoo itches it could be too dry apply aftercare more often.
Keep Tattoo Out of Sunlight, sun beds, pools, Jacuzzis, saunas oceans, or soaking in water till healed….
DO NOT touch the tattoo, and try and keep as little clothing friction such as a sock, bras traps, belts, etc away from the tattoo…
DO NOT workout excessively. Sweating excessively could damage your tattoo and increase the time to get healed.
DO NOT let your tattoo get dirty (do not allow anyone to touch it without complete healing).
Alcohol and drugs use (including smoking cigarettes), not enough sleep and not enough food, weaken your body system and will slow down your healing process. Allow you to sleep, eat well and time to recover.
Any negligence will be done at your own expense.
Your artist will offer one free touch up if he/she decides it’s needed for any other reason. The free touch up is only valid for 90 days after the initial tattoo date and excludes hands, feet and above the shoulders
These guidelines are based on a combination of vast professional experience, common sense, research and extensive clinical practice.
This is not to be considered a substitute for medical advice from a doctor. If you suspect an infection seek medical attention.
Be aware that many doctors have not received specific training regarding tattoos. Your local tattoo artist at The Balck Hat Tattoo may be able to refer you to a tattoo friendly medical professional.
The Black Hat Tattoo team